Today I managed to fix 3 issues. Issues: weston-subsurfaces was leaking regions. This was apparent from rapidly resizing the window. cheese was leaking…something. Apparent from the object IDs always increasing. gedit would display a subsurface and when the subsurface was dismissed the window would stop responding. I had realised there was an in issue with weston-subsurfaces. Namely, one of the subsurfaces would, briefly, not be in the correct set_position.
This is the first installment of my Wayland compositor dev diary. How I got here? Back in late 2016 I started work on a Wayland compositor written in Common Lisp. I got to the point where I had SDL and DRM backends, but I ran into a performance issue that I struggled to deal with and, in early 2017, with starting a new job in software development my motivation to work on the compositor waned.
Some terminal emulators, such as xterm and urxvt, allow an internal border to be defined, offsetting the terminal text from the edge of the window. I find this to be very aesthetically pleasing. As urxvt was giving me issues with copy and paste I thought I’d try using Konsole. Unfortunately Konsole has no equivalent option to internalBorder so I thought all hope was lost. However, recently I’ve been playing around with KDE and Qt and I happened upon this nugget of information: Qt applications can be styled with CSS and this can be applied by passing a stylesheet as a command-line option to the application: